The Center for European Research on Mobility (CERM) aims to establish a holistic tool chain for the development and validation of connected mobility systems in field tests and simulations at RWTH Aachen University.
The center implements vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2X) communication infrastructure with globally relevant technologies (e.g. DSRC, LTE etc.) in various communication standards (etc. ITS-G5 etc.) at the CERM real-world test site.The CERM partners develop and implement tools necessary to research future connected and automated systems. A main focus is put on urban traffic and a modular research intersection with various communication and sensor systems is set up. Globally relevant communication technologies are installed and used to evaluate the impact on system performance.
CERM is an interdisciplinary research at RWTH Aachen University with partners from various disciplines. The main research targets are:
- Provide globally relevant communication technologies (e.g. V2X, DSRC, LTE etc.) at the test track
- Define a systematic approach to validation and evaluation of innovative connected technologies
- Increase efficiency in the development and validation of technologies
- Transfer measurement data from field tests to a suitable simulation environment
- Define a holistic tool chain for the accurate and reproducible assessment of errors in connected systems and relevant communication technologies (e.g. availability, communication, functional safety etc.)
- Set up an urban scenario at the test track containing communication technologies, a modular intersection including dummy buildings, traffic signals and a reference sensor system etc.
- Establish a server infrastructure connecting all sensor systems and communication devices at the test track to record measurement data with an appropriate time synchronization
We kindly invite you to explore the motivation behind the center, the chosen research approach and the infrastructure. As we are very interested in an extensive exchange with the research community, industrial designers and interested persons, please feel free to get in touch with us any time. [Contact]
The first flyer of CERM can be downloaded here.